The Rock Garden was first constructed in 1926, and was later redesigned between October 1997 and April 1999 with support from the Martin Wills Trust. The 125 tonnes of sandstone were brought from a local quarry in Tubney, six miles west of Oxford.
The plants on the east side are mainly European in origin, whilst many of those on the west side are from the rest of the world.
The inclusion of a rock garden on site allows us to cultivate plants that require specific conditions not achievable elsewhere in the Garden. In late winter, there is a fine display of snowdrops, followed by the flowering of species tulips in the spring. A number of the members of the Euphorbia Collection prosper here, such as the Mediterranean species of E. rigida, E. myrsinites and E. spinosa.
Later in the season, other perennials come into bloom, including Acanthus dioscoridis, Tropaeolum polyphyllum and Dierama pulcherrimum.