In line with updated Government advice, both the Botanic Garden and Arboretum are open to the public. We strongly recommend pre-booking a ticket for both sites. This enables us to guarantee entry, monitor the number of visitors, and prevent overcrowding. Most of our events require pre-booking; please check the event pages for information.
Book your time slot for the Arboretum
Book your time slot for the Garden
Please note that the Garden and Arboretum are two separate sites, approximately 6 miles apart, and require two separate tickets.
How does my time slot work?
Tickets are available in time slots that run every 30 minutes throughout the day. You will be required to enter within the 30 minutes of your chosen time slot. If you arrive outside of this time frame you may be refused entry to the site if we have reached capacity. Please check your ticket date and time carefully before booking because all tickets are non-transferrable and non-refundable, as per our terms and conditions.
What do I need to bring?
- Visitors who qualify for free entry, including Friends of OBGA, Annual Pass holders, Oxford University Staff or Students, must present a valid form of ID upon arrival because our staff cannot check memberships on our system. Anyone who does not bring their ID will need to buy a day ticket for their visit.
- If you have pre-booked a time slot, you must have your ticket with you (either on a phone or printed out). You will not be allowed entry without this, as our Front of House staff cannot check bookings.
- If you have purchased a Concessions ticket then please ensure you bring a valid form of ID.
Before you set out to visit us, please do check our website for updates in case of unavoidable last-minute changes to opening times (for example severe weather). If we have had to cancel your time slot due to unforeseen circumstances, you will be offered a new time slot that suits you.
Getting to us
Oxford Botanic Garden does not have car parking. The nearest car park is St Clement's car park for which you can find more information here. Harcourt Arboretum has limited car parking available, so we recommend pre-booking your ticket to avoid disappointment. If travelling by public transport to the Arboretum you do not need to pre-book your ticket. The following buses stop at Baldon Lane in Nuneham Courtenay, directly opposite the pedestrian entrance to Harcourt Arboretum: 45, X38, X39 River Rapids and the X40, and you can find more information here.
Please note that dogs are not permitted at either site, with the exception of registered assistance dogs (these may be required to wear an identification coat or marker on their lead or harness).
How long can I stay?
A typical visit to the Botanic Garden lasts for approximately an hour and a half. To ensure that the maximum number of people can enjoy their visit safely we ask that everyone spends no more than two hours visiting this site. A typical visit to the much larger Arboretum lasts for two and a half hours so, for the same reason as above, we ask that everyone spends no more than three hours visiting this site.
What has changed?
We have a one-way system in place in our Water Lily House.
Help us keep you and our staff safe
- You should not visit if you think you have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Keep 2m away from other people.
- Face coverings are encouraged in indoor spaces.
- Regularly wash your hands and avoid touching your face. Check the NHS guidelines for more information.
- Come prepared with your own hand sanitiser and tissues.
Further information available on our FAQs page.